Greetings developers! We have been hard at work pushing to launch the Nutritionix API as soon as possible, and we now have some more definite details to share with everyone.
API Beta Launch Date: December 31st, 2012
API Proxy/Management Service: 3Scale.net
Current Waiting List Sign-Up: nutritionix.com/api (Posted on September 10th, 2012)
# Developers: 200+
# Food Brands in API: ~4,000
# Items in API: ~60,000
Real-Time API Pricing:
Access to our real-time nutrition API is 100% FREE with the following conditions:
- Calls must be made in real-time, not cached*
- You must include attribution text to Nutritionix on any page that is displaying data from the API
- Up to 250,000 API calls per month (higher threshold available upon request)
* With written persmission, data may be cached for historical diet tracking apps
Bulk Restaurant Data Export:
Currently, only our restaurant data is available to export in bulk data format.
To purchase a license for our bulk restaurant data export, please contact us at ENTERPRISE at nutritionix dot com.
The beta launch of the API will include three types of items:
- Common Foods (such as celery, carrots, etc)
- CPG (such as Gatorade, Dannon Yogurt, etc)
- Restaurant Items (such as McDonald’s Cheeseburger)
Nutritionix API Fields
The current public API fields we will be organizing are listed below.
Important Note: Not every item in the nutrition database will have every attribute available. If an attribute is not available for a particular item, it will return “NULL” from the API request for that attribute’s value. Please make sure your app properly handles a null request, and displays the information as “N/A” to the end user and not as zero.
*Seeking API Volunteers*
We are seeking five volunteers to help with testing, documentation, and bug tracking for our alpha stage API starting today. Before you apply, please note we require the following:
- Volunteer at least 3 hours per week to the API project
- Sign our NDA agreement
- Experience with the following are a huge plus, but not required:
- PHP / Yii Framework
- Amazon Web Services
- How much time can you volunteer to our API per week
- Which of the above items do you have experience with?
- Please provide a link to your GitHub profile
- What type of app will you be using/developing to test the API?